Tufts' 2nd Annual Field Exercise in Stability Operations (FIELDEX)
April 16-17, 2010
It's one thing to talk about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq from the safety of the classroom setting, but experiencing the realities on the ground, even in a simulated setting, adds a whole new level of understanding.
FIELDEX (based roughly off the situation in Afghanistan) simulates the difficulties of decision-making processes during conflict, the complementary yet often competing agendas of the stakeholders involved, and the interagency collaboration necessary to ensure a successful completion of the mission.
Students will role-play one of several groups in a two-day, realistic exercise:
- Coalition forces (CF)
- Host nation security forces (HNSF)
- United Nations Assistance Mission (UNAM_)
- Media organizations
- Local populace
FIELDEX, a collaborative initiative led by undergraduates from the student group ALLIES (Alliance Linking Leaders in Education and the Services), mentored by MALD candidates at the Flecter School of Law & Diplomacy, and sponsored by the IR Director's Leadership Council, Sigma Iota Rho, and the Provost's Office.
INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS:
1. There is a $25 fee for participants playing Coalition Forces (CF) , Host Nation Security Forces (HNSF) , and insurgents to help offset equipment rental costs.
2. There is a $15 fee for participants role-playing civilian actors.
3. All fees must be paid in full for your participation to be confirmed. Further details will be provided.
We will do our best to accommodate everyone interested in the FIELDEX as well as everybody's first choices.
However, because of the limited number of spaces, priority will be given to students who have not participated in past FIELDEX and who can demonstrate compelling reasons for participation.
Students marking civilian actors, such as United Nations Assistance Mission (UNAM), journalists, and villagers, as their first choices are more likely to be selected.
1. CF, HNSF, and insurgents should be prepared to depart Tufts around 4pm on Friday, April 16.
2. Civilian actors will depart Tufts in the morning of Saturday, April 17.
3. Please note that certain roles, such as CF, may require further pre-trip preparation, such as the assignment of reading.
ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN A WAIVER FORM.
*** REGISTER ONLINE @ http://bit.ly/bFjacS!! ***
Find us on facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=331743115799&ref=ts